Napier Neighbourhood Support is a community-led movement that brings people and neighbourhoods together to create safe, resilient and connected communities.
We are a registered charity and since 1999 we have been working alongside New Zealand Police and other partners to equip neighbourhoods to improve safety, be prepared for emergencies and support one another so that our communities are great places to live.
A well-connected community helps to improve the safety, resilience and well-being of all residents.
When you join a Neighbourhood Support group you will:
- Have a great way to get to know the people that live around you.
- Receive emails and alerts that will keep you up-to-date with news from our community partners, including New Zealand Police, Fire and Emergency New Zealand, and the National Emergency Management Agency.
- Gain tips and resources to improve your household and neighbourhood safety.
- Learn how you can be better prepared for emergencies.
By working together we can support each other, solve local issues and make our neighbourhoods safer and more welcoming.
Best of all, it’s FREE to join!
Why should you be involved in Neighbourhood Support?
- Get to know your neighbours in an informal way and foster community spirit - In an emergency, our neighbours will usually be there for support before Emergency Services can arrive.
- Develop a caring and secure environment – particularly for the elderly or isolated.
- Help each other prepare for disasters and better cope with civil emergencies.
- Minimise the occurrence of crime in your Neighbourhood.
- Create a common voice to deal with local issues such as noise, graffiti, traffic problems and the like.
- By being part of a “communication tree” in your area, you will receive any communications from your Community Constable and Civil Defence in an emergency.
Please note that is it highly beneficial to update your skills, needs and resources to share with your group in the event of an emergency. If you need help and support with this, please contact us.